Tuesday 22 April 2014

Um... more adders...

"Folie a Trois" by Derek Bennet

Okay, okay... I know I said the last post was the last one on the adder dance, maybe even promised, I can't remember, but when I saw this photo above which was kindly sent to me yesterday I just had to share it with you.

It is very rare that all three of our adders dance at the same time with each other. In all the years I have been here, I have only seen it once... about four years a go. I had heard that they may have done it again on Saturday just gone, but took the news with a pinch of salt. Until this photograph, taken by Derek Bennet, was kindly sent through to me at the Centre.

I am so disappointed to have missed it with my own eyes, but equally so pleased that at least some of our visitors managed to witness this event! And how great did Derek do to take this beautiful photo above? Thanks again for sending it in, it really is a pleasure to see.


"Matt and Dancing Adders" by Mark McElligott


While on the subject of sharing photos, here is one taken by Mark McElligott of me photographing the dance last Friday. As I have said before, I thoroughly enjoy spending time with the adders at this time of year, and have had some of my best experiences this year with one examining the inside of my macro lens, one climbing over the camera while I am trying to photograph them and other close encounters.

Mark was kind enough to take and share this photo with me... it is always lovely to have photographs of yourself with the animals, especially at times like this.



Okay, this really will be the last adder post for you on the dance as I imagine some of you are all addered out now. I just had to share the photo of the three of them dancing all at once though. Hope you enjoyed looking at it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you brave man for getting so close to them. Adders live where I lived in Slovakia and once as a teenager, I almost stepped on one, making it scared and making myself totally freaked out - I have huge respect for them since then. your photos are wonderful, they really make me appreciate how beautiful and interesting these animals are. Right - now I'm off to read the other adder posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have worked with these adders for 10 years, and so know their and my own limits. Adders are fairly docile animals, and not as aggressive as many people make out. They have a bad reputation, but I would say they are defensive. If you stepped on one, they probably would bite you, but then I am sure most wild animals would.

      That being said, you should always be cautious around them and I would not of got this close if they were not mine.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.